Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

zoom lens at f2.8 for dx body

Homepage Forums Gear & Links Photography Equipment Lenses zoom lens at f2.8 for dx body

• This topic is empty.

zoom lens at f2.8 for dx body

• peewee3ie

Hi,

I have not been on here much this last while. I have some money put by for a lens and I would like a lens that is 55-200mm at 2.8f I would even go 70-200mm at 2.8f but I would like it for a DX body as I have a D90 & D7000. I do lighting a show and also take some photos at shows as well if the time allows to.

I do have a 80-200mm 2.8f lens (Tokina) There is nothing wrong with the lens apart its a full frame lens which is 120mm-300mm on my camera bodies. I also have a 11-16mm 2.8f (Tokina) DX lens and 16-50mm 2.8f (Tamron) DX lens (well it on it way to me ) as you can see I am missing a big rang from 55-120mm 2.8f which would be great. I have a about €1100 aside for a lens

I was thinking of upgrading to full frame but with all my lens are DX why should I as it would cost me a bit to replace lens now. If I did upgrade to full frame would there be any advantages over DX apart more of a lens choice but also more expensive to buy.

Maciej90
    Participant

Hi,
    You won’t find zoom lens with focal lenght between 55-200mm f/2.8. However you can cover this focal range with standard lens such as 50 and 85mm ( both 1.8 ) or 105mm ( 2.8 ). These would give you 75, 127 and 157mm. Did you consider Tamron 24-70? It would give you some zoom and still goes over 100mm f/2.8 on DX. I think that this option is better than using mentioned standard lenses.
    Both these solutions have one common advantage: it’s all about FX so if someday you decide to get full frame body you wil already have some appropriate lens.

You asked about advantages of FX over DX. Well, it depends. In general:
    (1) image generated by full frame camera at high ISO is less nosier than image taken by crop at the same ISO value.
    (2) From FX you will also get better looking bokeh; image will be much blurrier in out of focus areas.
    (3) Most lenses show their full potential on FX body (that explains higher price).
    (4) FX has wider frame coverage so it’s great for landscape.
    And here I can present the advantage of DX over FX. DX gives more zoom as you already know. That’s why 80-200 on FX = 120-300 on DX. FX is wider, DX is longer.

Ask yourself these questions “What do I expect from my camera? What do I really need for photography that I’m in to?” and then try to find the best solution for your needs and expectations. :wink:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.