Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

What should i charge?

Homepage Forums General Photography Photography Business What should i charge?

• This topic is empty.

What should i charge?

• RichardT

Well i recently shot 2 events for a road racing club,The first was their website release,I was there for 30 minutes shot a few photos i was sending to a local paper and emailed the two best to the Women who is secretary of the Club sent it to Road Racing Ireland magazine and i wasn’t even named as the photographer!

I also shot another event a memorial plaque opening and maybe 10 of the pictures were used on the site,and one forwarded to a road racing news/road racing photography site and posted on the home page(credited to me) along with the news of the opening of this memorial plaque…

Just wondering how much should i get paid?As the women has posted a cheque to me

Thanks for any help!

ben4130
    Participant

I think all that sort of stuff should be pre arranged, The magazines usually have a set fee that they give for photographs and this may fluctuate if the picture was not a commission.
    I think next time have it all pre arranged with the club before sending the photos to them.

RichardT

You see i don’t have a clue what to charge,I’m only 17 so that might possibly make things different.
    And as the photo was used more to the benefit of the club(they were advertising their new site)
    It doesn’t seem like the Magazine should pay…

ben4130
    Participant

You should charge what you think is fair for the amount of time and effort you put in, not to mention its a skill not everybody has.
    If it was just to benefit the club and was a freebie id say let it go, but since the magazine printed it i would ask for payment fom the magazine or mention to the club you would like to be told in future where your photographs are ending up.
    You can make a usage contract to ensure everything goes smoothly.

RichardT

I’v been told i will be getting paid and it definitely wasn’t a freebie they’ve asked me to become their resident photographer so i can cover all their events,They posted the photos on their website with no mention of my name so i feel if they are going to do that i will have to charge them for each photo,The fact it was emailed to the magazine,which otherwise they would of had to hire a photographer in,now means they website has much better publicity which was down to me emailing the photo in time,I have no problem going back to them and saying iv been under payed for the services I’v offered,as in my eyes the photo for the magazine would definitely be €30 and then nine photos on there website which seem to now be owned by the club as their is no mention of me must cost atleast €10 each?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.