Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Wedding Photography Copyright law?

Homepage Forums General Photography Photography Business Wedding Photography Copyright law?

• This topic is empty.

Wedding Photography Copyright law?

• silkephotos

Hi there, Im very new to this forum but I’m very eager to figure something out –

I do wedding photography want to know, from someone who has experience in the industry and knows for certain, what is the legal procedure with Irish Copyright Law and wedding photography? In simple layman’s terms.

Alternatively what do established wedding photographers do if you shoot a wedding for a couple but they don’t want to let you use the photos for your own market/advertising/portfolio?

Id really love to hear the correct procedure for this.

Cheers.

ConDoh
    Participant

At the end of the day your being paid to photograph their wedding. Your not being paid to create content for marketing purposes, that’s just a bonus from most weddings.

Use a contract and have them sign it, if a couple doesn’t want me to publish their photos then I remove the model release term from the contract.
    Get yourself a contract, be very clear about everything in the contract and with your clients. Copyright Law is Copyright Law, put your copyright terms in the contract and then its clear for everyone. If you feel the need you could add in a charge for removing the term, or don’t. Personally I charge what I see fit and if their willing to pay then I’m happy to exclude their wedding from publication. The bulk of weddings dont mind so theirs loads of marketing material there anyway. Wedding businesses rely heavily on word of mouth and if they can trust you, they will refer you.

Ashley
    Participant

silkephotos wrote:

In simple layman’s terms.

It somewhat depends on what you are actually asking others to pay you for before the work is done, i.e. are you asking them to hire you to do some work for them OR are you just asking them to pay you for the use of your work afterwards.

In other words, the Copyright Law is simply in place to protect your Rights, as an artist, to any work that you have created – assuming that you are not an employee or that you have not agreed beforehand, to do ‘Work Made For Hire’ instead.

paul
    Participant

silkephotos wrote:

I do wedding photography want to know, from someone who has experience in the industry and knows for certain, what is the legal procedure with Irish Copyright Law and wedding photography? In simple layman’s terms.

Copyright is yours, unless there is a contract in place to state otherwise. What does your wedding contract state? If it states nothing, then copyright remains yours.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.