Exact matches only

Walton Pier

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Landscape Walton Pier

• This topic is empty.

Walton Pier

• jb7
    Participant

This should really go in the Architecture section,
    but, since you often find man made objects disappearing off into the sea in this section,
    I thought I’d try it here-

There have been many conversations about processing techniques recently,
    so I’d be interested to hear comments on this one-

This is cropped to 3:5, closely corresponding to a golden mean ratio,
    I quite like the proportions, wouldn’t mind a film camera in this format…

cathald
    Participant

I would normally say this is hdr but I dont think you have used it Joseph(you would be disbarred from the large format crowd)
    I have no idea how you processed this but would like to know,just being curious
    The shadow areas are throwing me off

randomway

I think he did. He is in denial, but you know yourself… this can’t be natural.

I’m not so sure about this picture, Joseph. Something is missing… some action… a shark swimming up in the waves could spice it up a bit. :twisted:

jb7
    Participant

Not a betting man then, Cathal?

HDR, or tone mapping, or exposure blending, or whatever you might like to call it,
    is used in film photography, or at least the scans from film-
    sometimes-

At least, sometimes I see people say they use the technique-
    though the effect is often subtle, they seldom scream at you.
    It’s often used to add separation in the mid-tones.

Sometimes a neg is scanned twice, once for the highlights, once for the shadows, and the exposures blended.

I tried it once, not very successfully.

Zoltan, that’s an imaginative request-
    usually, people might prefer to see a picture of a boat,
    but a shark is much more original.

However, since we’re dealing in fantasy, I think Hally Berry, wearing a shark knife strapped to her leg,
    might have been the missing element-
    Still, each to their own…

SO, processing?
    Is this a HDR?

cathald
    Participant

I’m going to say no,it’s not a hdr
    The reasoning behind my thought is the water
    here the water looks natural but I find with hdr the water is a giveaway at times

Ahh the vision of Hally Berry with the knife strapped to her leg ………..
    Perhaps one of NFL’s fighter planes going between the pier legs might suit

flynny
    Participant

If it’s not HDR, I’d like to know what knack you’ve pulled here,
    If you set out to bring out the detail in the shadows , then I’d say youv’e succeeded,
    Compositionally there’s a photo there somewhere, but I’m not convinced that this is it.
    Maybe if the end of the “tunnel” was a little nearer, it might make a better focal point,

Halle Berry overexposed………………now theres a thought :)

andy mcinroy
    Participant

JB, you’ve brought me out of retirement to have a crack at this one.

I don’t think that this is HDR. The main reason I say this is that the water is sharply frozen, so therefore the image has almost certainly been created from a single exposure.

Any image created from a single exposure exposure (either using film or digital) cannot be defined as HDR. Some folks refer to single exposure processes as pseudo-HDR but the reality is that they have just found a way to maximise the amount of detail from the single exposure.
    HDR requires multiple exposures.

On a more technical note it is also true to say that no image visible on a monitor can be HDR.
    HDR is a virtual state of zeros and ones that only exist in the computer’s memory during processing. As soon as we output it to a printer or a monitor it has a low dynamic range once again.

But whatever the processing, it is still a pleasing image to my eye. It does lack contrast which is typical of many ‘HDR’ images I have seen. However, that is the only similarity. It lacks the softness and garish colours of a typically processed ‘HDR’. It’s also a pleasing viewpoint with quite a stong feeling of depth. However there isn’t enough here to really get me going.

jb7
    Participant

Well, it kindof is what it is-
    maybe if the tide had been out I might have been able to go out further-

Andy, good to have you back-

This does look like a HDR, but in fact, Cathal was right to presume it’s not-
    The unnatural tonal transitions in this are as a result of the low angled lighting,
    its reflection off the water, and most tellingly, the shadows of the columns being coincident with the columns behind-
    a little geometrical trick of the light-

The shadows to the left of the columns are typical of the added tonalities you can sometimes see in a software processed image,
    but here, they’re just shadows- you know, the kind you sometimes see in photographs-

Processing- Taken in the evening, it was slightly warm, so I changed the white balance, taking a white from the surf.
    I opened up the shadows slightly in Aperture, re-sized and sharpened using plugins in Photoshop-
    a little bit of fiddling with the colour, nothing major-

No HDR, and no clipping top or bottom-
    the scene was reasonably well lit, it wasn’t necessary to try for any more range-
    or any more exposures…

andy mcinroy wrote:

I don’t think that this is an HDR. The reason I say this is that the water is sharply frozen so therefore the image has almost certainly been created from a single exposure.

I’ve seen some cleverly processed HDR images, where moving elements within a frame (water, clouds) are chosen from the most appropriate single frames-
    it’s a layer of effort that’s worth doing, if you want to make a picture look like a single photograph.
    Other parts of the same image can still be pulled from multiple exposures-
    but it requires a bit more effort than pushing a few sliders-

Ensuring that the image is not pushed to comical limits can help too-
    HDR is just another technique, and like all techniques, it can serve the image, or it can overpower it-

Thanks for the comments, and for playing the game…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.