Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Traditional printing on the go

Homepage Forums General Photography Film Photography Traditional printing on the go

• This topic is empty.

Traditional printing on the go

• randomway

I ran out of fixer yesterday, so I can’t make any photograms until I get to buy some stuff in Gunns. This got me thinking…

I could use coffee and baking soda to develop the prints, water to “stop” it, but what about the fixer? Are there any processes that could be done with readily available materials? I started looking into this, but all alternative processes look very complicated or at least, the chemicals are not the easiest to get to.

So, any tips what to use as fixer until I get my fix?

Fintan
    Participant

hypo will work if you have it fresh

randomway

Bleach i have, don’t know if you mean that… or is the hypo something else? I will give it a try anyways :)

jb7
    Participant

randomway wrote:

So, any tips what to use as fixer until I get my fix?

I’d suggest Ilford Rapid Fixer-

I can let you have some tonight if you want,
    let’s see if it’s worth a run out in the rain…

randomway

How much do you have JB? If you have a bottle to spare, I could take it off you and buy you some new stuff in the next few days.

jb7
    Participant

No, just take it, I’m still using that film you gave me-
    would a half litre bottle be enough for the time being?
    Or would you like more than that?

randomway

Thanks for the fix JB, it’s good quality colombian stuff. The cops were after me on the way home though.

jb7
    Participant

You’ll be up all night now…

randomway

No doubt.

My original question is still there however. What would be the simplest way to make a print of any kind if you are planning to travel a lot? Any simple alternative processes I could try?

Fintan
    Participant

its difficult to make fixer from household items. over the years i’ve read about sea water, onions and even urine.

stick with Gunns :shock: :shock: :shock:

randomway

Developed in coffee, fixed in urine… I could say that the print was made using the fluid I like and the originality is guaranteed by DNA copyright protection technology. Not a bad idea. Only thing is, I would need some pine scented bleach at the end of the process to give it a nice fresh feel.

jb7
    Participant

If you were prepared to wait a bit after developing,
    you could drink the coffee, and process the fixer yourself, in that case-

nfl-fan
    Participant

Developed in coffee, fixed in urine… I could say that the print was made using the fluid I like and the originality is guaranteed by DNA copyright protection technology. Not a bad idea. Only thing is, I would need some pine scented bleach at the end of the process to give it a nice fresh feel.

I laughed when I read that Zolt the Baker “So fresh it’s famous”.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.