Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

The Bestist or the Worstist Holga?

Homepage Forums General Photography Low Fidelity Photography The Bestist or the Worstist Holga?

• This topic is empty.

The Bestist or the Worstist Holga?

• Alan Rossiter
    Participant

pallotron wrote:

last one is superb wonka!

Thanks…I taught him everything he knows! 8)

pallotron
    Participant

ahahaha, there was a misunderstanding.
    i meant, NFL :P

btw, i would like to know if that windmill is in ireland, it would be an interesting spot to go for.
    ps: it is strange i didnt see much windmills in ireland…. and you guys have so much wind! maybe too much wind is not good for windmills

nfl-fan
    Participant

pallotron – The Windmill is in Ireland. It’s down here in County Wexford, about 15-20 minutes drive from Wexford town in a place called Tacumshane.

There’s a fair few photos of it already posted here on PI if you want another look.

Her she is in all her glory – you can see the tree and the sun was just off to the right.

Eddie
    Participant

I have two at home at the moment, both are about the same age 5 years old.

The first one gives a very sharp central image with slight diffusion towards the edges, bought two at the same time and a friend has got nice results from the other one so I rekon the lenses are the same. No 1

The second is an all singing Holga mod I won with two real f stops f8 and f11 and focusing down to two feet, and one or two other mods but the lens gives only a small point of central focus and massive diffusion from this central point. I have never taken to this camera but my son tried it recently No 2.

Its really all down to the lens, I dont think scanning or development or processing is a hugh issue. I can generally get nice darkroom prints from the first Holga generally at grade 5, printing at 12*12 inches and I am sure bigger if necessary. I have tried to compare the lens on each of the cameras tapping them to see if one is glass or maybe plastic but can’t notice any difference. Its just down to luck, however If you have a good lens you like make sure to keep it and transfer it to any new Holga you buy.

No 1

Link to second image No 2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_nerd/4323285390/in/set-72157623329276678/

nfl-fan
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I’ve never actually made a wet print of any of my Holga images… and to compare a digital scan probably isn’t the best thing.

I’m convinced that my issues are possible down to –

(a) bad focus – obviously the Holga requires you to ‘guess’ focus and I’m thinking that maybe my efforts are way off the mark sometimes

(b) the lens – it might be the case that the lens on my camera just isn’t very well suited to capturing high levels of details at anything beyond a certain distance

I might buy a 2nd Holga and run some comparisons.

btw: Nice work there Eddie – I seen your Windmill effort on Flickr… thus the inspiration for mine!

Thanks again.
    J

nfl-fan
    Participant

btw: Anyone know how much Gunns are charging for Holgas?

jb7
    Participant

nfl-fan wrote:

btw: Anyone know how much Gunns are charging for Holgas?

nfl-fan
    Participant

Cheers jb.

€49… I think I might make my own.

pallotron
    Participant

i bought it in ebay, i think it was from china and i spent in total less than 49 eur.
    i have to drop by one of this days to buy something, i can ask them if you want and will let you know.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.