Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

The adaptability of Swans

Homepage Forums General Photography Low Fidelity Photography The adaptability of Swans

• This topic is empty.

The adaptability of Swans

• Seoirse

The M1 motorway runs from Dublin to Belfast.

At Swords just north of Dublin there is a river called the Broadmeadow which is home to a group of swans. Of course as it would happen the motorway was planned to run across the river on stilts just at the point where the swans make their home.

Well – there was pandemonium. The swans would die. The swans would cause collisions. The swans would disappear from the Broadmeadow for ever. No child would ever see a swan again, except in books. Every tree-hugging crusty for thousands of miles pledged to protest (i.e lie down in front of the diggers) and some representatives at local government level said that there was “no way” the swans should be disturbed even though the new road would not only improve transport links between the two jurisdictions but that it would bring much safer motoring for thousands of men, women and children who were in daily peril trying to negotiate poor standard roads that were in existence at the time some 10 years ago.

Anyway, good sense prevailed and the road was built and you know what happened? …the swans simply shrugged their collective shoulders (do they have shoulders?) and scratched their collective chins (do they have chins?) and moved about 100 metres downstream without any fuss or bother.Now, there are more swans on the Broadmeadow than ever before, they are as happy as Larry and there has been zero collisions as far as I am aware.

So there. Not all progress will lead to destruction.

[url]
    Broadmeadow Swans 1 – 5×4 pinhole by seoirseosial, on Flickr

[url]
    Broadmeadow Swans 2 – 5×4 pinhole by seoirseosial, on Flickr

[/ur
    Broadmeadow Swans 3 – 5×4 pinhole by seoirseosial, on Flickrl]

[url]
    Broadmeadow Swans 5 – 5×4 pinhole by seoirseosial, on Flickr

[url]
    Broadmeadow Swans 4 – 5×4 pinhole by seoirseosial, on Flickr

All images taken with a 5×4 pinhole DIY camera
    f150; 45mm fl; 0.3mm diameter pinhole
    Fomapan 100 rated at 50 asa in Rodinal 1:100 30 mins semi stand development
    12 seconds exposure time

Isabella
    Participant

another stunning set of images. was the camera complicated to make?

aoluain
    Participant

another stunning set indeed.

george – it can be safely be said you know your way around that 5×4 pinhole!

well done.

redto
    Seoirse

Isabella wrote:

another stunning set of images. was the camera complicated to make?

Isabella , apologies for not getting back sooner as I have been bogged down with woirk, life and all sorts of things.

No, the camera wasn’t difficult to make. Even a bodger like me couldn’t make a complete mess of it !

In fact, here is a link to how I made it. Let me know if I can be of any further help:

http://www.f295.org/main/showthread.php?17088-She-ain’t-pretty-but-she’s-mine&highlight=ain%27t” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
    George.

Seoirse

Alan & Redto…thanks so much for your nice comments. :D

Isabella
    Participant

Hi George,

apologies for not getting back sooner as I have been bogged down with woirk, life and all sorts of things.

No worries!

thanks for the link, what a cool creation! i made myself a 10×8 one out of a couple of old ilford boxes and a bit of a tuna tin for a hole… all inspired by seeing your lovely creations. I’ve been shooting on paper for the moment but want to make something more solid to shoot film.

aoluain
    Participant

you should post up some images of how you did it isabella !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.