Straffan sluices

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Catch All Straffan sluices

• This topic is empty.

Straffan sluices

• bugaboo
    Participant
    PD_BARBS
    Participant

This is a nicely composed shot, abit of sharpening and a slight saturation boost would give some improvement.

Was this shot handheld ?

5faythe
    Participant

Hi Gerry,

I think the shot is a nice idea with the rushing
    water adding action to the scene.

I couldn’t help thinking if there was some light on those
    very interesting looking wheels the image would have
    been very good.

Of course I am saying that with no knowledge of the scene
    and whether light ever shines on it.
    What do I know? :?

Well done.

John.

bugaboo
    Participant

Thanks for the comments guys- yes the shot was hand held.

PD_BARBS
    Participant

There is certainly some potential in this location, worth a return trip.

bugaboo
    Participant

Plan to return soon- would possibly look good in sepia

brownie
    Participant

Nice area in better light and definately with the camera on a tripod…I think that the fact you are
    already talking about turning this into a sepia toned shot is’nt a good idea…go back at either sunrise
    or sunset and with a slower shutter speed and then you will have a good shot…there is definately
    camera shake in the shot but what I am really saying is that before you think about changing
    shots into sepia or whatever….you should really be concentrating on getting the best shot
    possible out of the location first….many good photographers here on PI could relate to you there
    stories about going to a location seven, eight or more times to get the best light for a particular
    shot….light is what makes any shot and that is a reality…get that right first and then play around in
    Photoshop with it….best of luck in the future with your shooting.

Noel Browne.

bugaboo
    Participant

Thanks Noel,
    Will bear that in mind, thanks for the advice,much appreciated
    Gerry

miki g
    Participant

Hi Gerry. This shot was either taken early morning or late evening when the sun was low and the sluices were in the shade. I totally agree with the lads about a revisit to this one. The scene offers loads of potential for different times during the day. The composition is good, but even this can change as can the use of different shutter speeds for obtaining different effects in the water etc. Use a tripod, spend lots of time shooting it and get the best lighting before even thinking of using photoshop. A bad photo will still be a bad photo even after photoshop. Get the basics right first and you’re onto a winner.

5faythe
    Participant

Hi Gerry,

Me again.
    The lads have given some good advice there and I totally agree that
    with the right light conditions etc there is an excellent shot at this location.

There is also a lot of detail in the shot above that could be worked on.
    I had a little experiment and even at the low res sample here it looks
    a whole lot better after a little work.

As miki g says it is better to get as many things right at capture as possible but
    as an exercise/practice it would be worth doing a little work on this one.

Cheers,

John.

bugaboo
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement- I’m definiely heading back soon- for info-taken from the bridge over the liffey at straffan just beside the K Club

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.