Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Sports Photographers Wanted

Homepage Forums General Photography Photography Business Sports Photographers Wanted

• This topic is empty.

Sports Photographers Wanted

• andybenitez
    Participant

Hi All,

http://www.extratime.ie” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false; are currently looking for photographers to cover League of Ireland games for the 2011 season.

We need photographers in all parts of the country, preferably located near:

Premier Division Teams:
    Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sligo Rovers, Sporting Fingal, St Patricks Athletic, Dundalk, UCD, Galway United, Bray Wanderers, Drogheda United

First Division Teams:
    Derry City, Waterford United, Monaghan United, Shelbourne, Limerick, Cork Foras, Wexford Youths, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Athlone Town, Mervue United, Salthill Devons

Unfortunately, we are not yet in a position to pay any of our photographers/journalists, however should you contribute regularly to the site then you could end up photographing Ireland (and other teams) at the Aviva Stadium.

Last season, I started out photographing for the site and managed to to get pitchside for Ireland v Argentina, Man Utd v Airtricity XI, FAI Cup Final and various other international matches. This season there’ll be plenty more international and friendly matches including the Carling Nations Cup and the Pre-Season Tournament involving Inter Milan in July.

If you are interested in getting involved, reply to this thread or PM me with the following details before February 11th:

Name

damiend
    Participant

I need a boundary wall built around my back garden. Unfortunately I’m not in the position to pay anyone but the next door neighbour might want one built aswell . But I don’t think they will pay you either as they also have no money..

I see no even mention of paying some expenses . Do extratime.ie not make any money???

Unless photographers stop doing this type of thing, the few sports photographers that are on here or on another site trying to earn some money from sport will never get anywhere. PS I no longer do sports photography but others do.

you can get accred for international footabll without needing to give away your work for free. Just for those that dont know that…

andybenitez
    Participant

Damien,
    If you have nothing constructive to say, I’d rather you said nothing.
    I’m sure you’ve heard of the recession and the best way to practice your photography, if you are not getting any paid work, is to gain some experience.

We’ve all started out working for nothing. We’re not looking for seasoned pros either.

So, if anyone is looking to gain some experience in shooting football, then please reply and ignore the negativity.

Yes, we would love to be in a position to pay, however it is a tough business to break into and to break the duopoly of sportsfile and inpho.

Cheers

paul
    Participant

andybenitez wrote:

Unfortunately, we are not yet in a position to pay any of our photographers/journalists, however should you contribute regularly to the site then you could end up photographing Ireland (and other teams) at the Aviva Stadium.

I’m the club photographer for Sporting Fingal, and have been approached by some from extratime before about providing shots. But, I don’t see any reason to provide images to them for free.

For me, extratime has the ability to generate more revenue for itself, and hence pay photographers for their work.

Shooting for free like this doesn’t really get you much.

Green Meanie
    Participant

Pay your own way and go to loads of events and we might get some of your work published and then you will get….

…nothing :roll:

paul
    Participant

Green Meanie wrote:

Pay your own way and go to loads of events and we might get some of your work published and then you will get….

…nothing :roll:

The only place that some of your work may be published is on the extratime.ie website. No attempt is made to have your work published elsewhere. For that, you must do it yourself.

I like the extratime website, I know some of the photographers who publish their work there quite well and I respect them, but I do disagree with the want to get people to work for free.

damiend
    Participant

Andy I have nothing against people gaining experience as a matter of fact im all for it.. but what I do strongly object to is people trying to take advantage of them while they are doing it , by not even offering a tenner for the slide shows of the matches that is what extratime.ie is doing to photographers starting out and then the cheek to add a carrot that you might get to shoot some internationals which as far as Im aware extratime have no control over….
    People looking to gain experience should shoot underage football , build a website, and hand out cards to the teams or parents and prehaps they may even make a couple of quid instead of doing it for people that have already told them they will get nothing.
    And I know you’d rather Id say nothing most people that try and get work for nothing don’t like to be pulled up on it.. There is no way forward working for nothing.

andybenitez
    Participant

Damien,

I don’t remember starting a discussion topic on this. If you want to get something off your chest, have the courtesy to contact me privately.

I don’t see how we are taking advantage, rather providing an opportunity for amateur photographers to gain some experience at the highest level available to us here in Ireland.

Personally, I learned nothing from photographing under-age soccer, as the action is always during the day and isn’t fast enough to challenge a photographer.

Not sure where you want me to generate this “tenner” from either????

I resent your comment “the cheek to add a carrot”. And if you knew anything about how a newspaper or website function, then you’d know we do have control over who gets Accreditation for International matches.

Also, it doesn’t matter what line of work you are in, there’ll always be someone out there that can do the job cheaper. Its a fact of life. Anyway, we’re hardly taking the bread off someone’s table by doing what we do.

Some people also do this as a hobby, not everyone with a camera wants to earn money from it.

Cheers for throwing a spanner in the works of a small independent website trying to do something good for Irish sport.

Much appreciated!!!

Mikka
    Participant

andybenitez wrote:

Also, it doesn’t matter what line of work you are in, there’ll always be someone out there that can do the job cheaper.

As it may be, but not for free, that would be plain silly in my view……./Mikka

brianmacl
    Participant

If you are shooting for free to gain experience then you should attach yourself to a reputable photographer and in return for your free work you should probably get some tips, insight and learn from their experience…. so do these free shooters get lessons have someone mentor them?

Anyone who does this to gain experience in order to end up going pro is fooling themselves as they will just be replaced by another free shooter eventually

andybenitez
    Participant

Ok, so can we all 100% confirm that we’ve never done anything for free?

Didn’t think so……

Anyway, for those still interested, despite the negativity, feel free to PM me. Thanks to those that have already.

And when we eventually generate some cash, we’ll gladly pay you for your time.

pelagic

Andy,

I normally stay out of pissing contests but I think you’re on the wrong side of this.

PI is about C & C and you posted a request for volunteers.

Then you come back and assert that your posting should not attract any commentary.

Pros will always have new comers and amateurs nipping at their businesses. That’s life but it also might be annoying to them.

This is a place for discussion and it must stay gentle. We have to accept discussion = take the good with the bad.

IMHO Your request is/was an honest one. Some may take it up, because they want a front row seat at a few games. Some for other reasons.

Keep it Cool,

tommykelso

I can’t believe you have the cheek to do this to photographers!!

Doing a wee job for free to gain experience is fine… a lot of photographers do it for friends and families etc but this is different, there is a lot of work involved never mind the travelling involved in getting to and from games. You guys are getting in some sort of revenue for the coverage of these games. How dare you expect photographer to do all the graf6t and not get a single penny.

I have no experience in sports photography or media photography but I know photographers who are.. and they get paid for each shot submitted. Sometimes it’s only 3 or 4 quid per shot for a local newspaper but they still get paid.

Doing a job for free as a favour to gain experience is fine… doing a job for free for a business intentionally setting out totake advantage of up and coming photographers is just wrong, in my opinion.

andybenitez
    Participant

Ok, so people are entitled to their opinions, but steady on Tommy

“intentionally setting out totake advantage of up and coming photographers”

The website doesn’t generate any income, therefore no one is profiting on the work of us photographers.

I’m making nothing.

I simply have an opportunity to promote the League of Ireland, which I hope will brng back the crowds to the stadia and in turn generate some income for us photographers.

I see it as a learning curve, gain some experience now and hopefully it’ll pay off later.

Feel free to continue slating what we do………..

brianmacl
    Participant

I have given out 3 free shoots each freebie was my choice and was a strategic business decision that led to long term clients that now use and re use my work they are some of my best clients. they did not ask me for free shots and they took one free shoot and paid for everything there after. I once also worked for free but I gained insight and lots of help in return for my work.

PersonallyI see why you are doing this, you are just trying to keep costs down, and I know people will offer to do it. However I hope those people read this first and think about what their actions will cause:
    1 they will gain some experience but no knowledge, no one will mentor them. If they really want experience go and help a pro gain experience and have them mentor you in return
    2 they feed a cycle that in turn will lead them loosing out on paid work. You have now got your experience you are hoping to get paid but another person steps up to do it for free to gain experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.