Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Site in Decline?

Homepage Forums General Photography The Lounge Site in Decline?

• This topic is empty.

Site in Decline?

• BM
    Participant

This is beginning to look like a lot of navel-gazing …

I blame the prince of darkness (JB7)

… but I am with JB regarding respect and I fully support Mark’s plan to clamp down on personal attacks. Mark has a very fair and even-handed approach to moderation, so if he has inetrvened, you can be sure there was a need for it.

BM
    Participant

If we didn’t have GC, where would I post this:

PeteW

BM wrote:

If we didn’t have GC, where would I post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw

Maybe we need to apply this “Funtheory” to the GC ?!

“change people’s behaviour for the better is by making it fun to do”

andy mcinroy
    Participant

Pete,

It was myself that mentioned a ‘photography lounge’ type forum. I think that nfl’s support of that idea what somewhat sarcastic. However, it is worth some consideration. It could be used for more lighthearted photography conversation and interesting photographic links. It could also be used for more general chat and joke threads but the overall theme of the forum would still be photography.

Luminous landscape runs something similar and calls it the ‘Coffee Corner’ and describes it as “a forum for open discussiom of both photographic and non-photographic topics of a general nature’. Take a look at the current topics and you will see a very well balanced and interesting forum section there.

It’s worth thinking about anyway.

nfl-fan
    Participant

I think that nfl’s support of that idea what somewhat sarcastic

Sorry Andy, but you’re wrong.. it wasn’t. Thanks

Mark
    Keymaster

Fresh start for this section of the site. General Chat is gone and
    has been replaced in name by ‘The Lounge’

Lets start by leaving personal issues, digs and grievances with other members
    off the site.

Mr.H
    Participant

Not sure whether to post here or in the new lounge thread… however 2 suggestions.

Firstly I should state that I have no issue with GC/Lounge, and in general find it entertaining. Sometimes I struggle to do much photography for longish periods…. The fun in GC is generally what brings me back here during those periods.

However I appreciate the vibe that sometimes it can take over. So, back to my two suggestions.

1. Move ‘The Lounge’ to the bottom of the list of forums. I realise that many people will use the ‘posts since last visit’, but for those that don’t then at least they have to pass some relevant photography topics to get to General chat.

2. Getting technical now… Perhaps use some kind of credit system, where you gain credits by posting in Photography sections and can spend them by posting in GC. Wouldn’t be a problem to most people in GC as they are very active in most areas of the forum… but would prevent the occaisional excessive posting here and make sure that people balance their efforts.

Gary

Alan Rossiter
    Participant

Perhaps use some kind of credit system, where you gain credits by posting in Photography sections and can spend them by posting in GC.

I think this whole GC thing has gone way over the top. Have a look at those who oppose the GC…but post in the GC to air their views.
    Renaming it or relocating it won’t change the people who post in it. Moderation, on the whole forum, will result in civility and the direction the forum owner initially intended.

And remember folks, tomorrow’s Friday so pick up your best funnies for the “Because it’s Friday” thread. Credit, pies, posts, critiques, clique membership or darkrooms not required to post.

BM – you’re excluded…you’d hog the thread. :wink:

Alan

Mark
    Keymaster

You’re right Alan, its down to moderation which is set to once again
    get strict.

The name change is meant to hopefully kickstart some sort of change
    in attitudes I guess…

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.