Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

signing your photo???

• This topic is empty.

signing your photo???

• stevie glenn

was just wondering do any off you put your name or anything on your photo after working on it.

what do you write??

wondering if i should do it so then its my photo then just a we silly thing!

thanks
    stevie.

tsergairl

check my exifs in my pix :-)

Chris

cathald
    Participant

Do you mean after you have printed it?
    Once printed and mounted I sign the mount using pencil

Cathal

iophotoworks
    Participant

I’ve written a short article about different approaches to signing prints. It’s on the iophotoworks website

http://www.iophotoworks.com/tech/signing/signing.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you find some of it helpful.
    Note I spent some time in the US so sometimes use American terms. I just noticed I refer to mounts as mattboards – it’s the same thing.

Most of our clients sign the print itself usually on the front (sometimes on the back) almost always with an archival pen and not pencil.

thefizz
    Participant

Hi Tony, can you provide prices on your Sakura Pigma Micron archival pens? I had a quick look at your web site but didn’t see any prices.

damien.murphy
    Participant

I would say definitely sign your work, and possibly date it too. I’m taking a drawing class at the moment, and signing and dating any work, even our formative scribbles in the very first class, is encouraged and recommended.

After all, if you’ve taken the time and effort to make a print you’re happy and proud of, why not take the time to mark it as your own. Even if it just helps you evaluate your own progress, it’s a valuable practice.

I think the common perception we have, is that only prints worthy of hanging in a gallery warrant being signed, but signing artwork is not exclusive to masterpieces, and common practice in most artistic endeavours.

Digital images complicate the matter, and am unsure the approach one would take with digital files, but for prints I say yes :)

Martin
    Participant

thefizz wrote:

Hi Tony, can you provide prices on your Sakura Pigma Micron archival pens? I had a quick look at your web site but didn’t see any prices.

Peter what pens are you using for your darkroom prints? Im just using pencil at the moment. I have seen people using ink but for darkroom prints im not sure what pen to get? Do Gunns have them if i was to pop in?

thefizz
    Participant

Hi Martin, I’m not sure if Gunns have suitable pens. I’m interested in Tony’s archival pen as I have always just used pencil.

stcstc

you can buy those sakura pens on ebay, wife just ordered a box, i think she paid 12 euros for a box of 12 from hong kong

Martin
    Participant

They look cheap as chips on ebay, thanks Steve, just picked up a “Sakura Pigma Micron”

iophotoworks
    Participant

We are out of stock on the Pigma pens for now. Sorry.
    I would be careful buying them on eBay as they may not be genuine. You are going to a lot of trouble buying a pen that is certified archival pigment so don’t buy from a dodgy source – at least if using eBay buy from an Art Shop with an eBay presence. They are easy enough to buy in Continental Europe at the retail level if you are traveling – most art shops would have them.

An alternative here is the Staedtler pigment liners which are available in Easons for about 3 euros. They are not certified archival but are solvent free, acid free etc so are probably good enough.

Some people use pencil on softer paper (or the back of fine-art paper). This can rub off though.
    Stay away from permanent pens especially as they contain lots of nasties. Hope this helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.