Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Second hand digital equipment

Homepage Forums General Photography Digital Photography Second hand digital equipment

• This topic is empty.

Second hand digital equipment

• Paul H
    Participant

I am a confirmed film user, but want to go digital. I would rather buy a Canon 1 series rather than a lesser camera, and am used to 1 series film cameras. Does anyone know where one could buy a decent second hand 1 series canon dslr? I am thinking of the 1DS or the 1D mark IIN.
    I am wary of ebay but would like to know if there are any real alternatives.

Not Pete the bloke
    Participant

The canon outlet on ebay occasionally sells 1DS and 1DIIN, but not very many. They tend to achieve a price just a couple of hundred pounds short of the retail price, particularly with the latter camera.
    They come with a 12 month guarantee. The only difficulty you might come across is finding a second hand 1 series model which has not seen much use – they tend to be owned by profesionals and as such, will show signs of major use. If I was interested in a 1 series digital, frankly I would bite the bullet and buy new.

Rodcunha
    Participant

I totally agree with Brandyman, the money you might save on a second hand professional camera wont justify in my opinion the use that this sort of cameras might have already. On any other cameras it is in did a good option but i wouldn’t go for it on a professional level even with a 12 Month guarantee.

Not Pete the bloke
    Participant
    SteveFE

Alternatively Paul, the 5D gives you most of the 1D image quality with a few tradeoffs in speed of use etc, at a much lower price. The main thing is it’s still full-frame, high res, big bright finder, true 35mm equivalent lens focal lengths, and you’d probably get a new one for about the same as a well-thrashed 1D. If you’re going to use it hard and in all sorts of shitty conditions you might want the 1D build and sealing, but then if you’re going to use it that hard do you want one that’s already been around the block?

Not Pete the bloke
    Participant

Steve
    Tell me more about using old OM lenses on a Canon DSLR with an adaptor?? What are the focussing issues? Other problems etc? Where did you get the adaptor?
    I think I saw an article on this in AP last year.
    Cheers,
    Ross

SteveFE

Very briefly: the adaptors are available from various eBay sources (search eBay for OM to EOS or similar), and they work. You use manual focus and stop-down metering (meter and shoot at preselected aperture). You can get adaptors with a chip fitted that gives you the AF confirmation beep/light. Not all old lenses are really up to modern L quality (especially cheap old zooms, they can be very soft), but many are (my favourites are a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 and a Meyer Gorlitz 135mm f2.8 which is pin sharp). The advantage is price (the Meyer cost ?29 and is a beautiful lens, essentially a Zeiss Sonnar by any other name), and a certain satisfaction in working with more control and craft. It’s nice in low light to use a proper manual focus ring instead of having an AF motor banging about all over the place trying to hit focus.

Loads more info at my Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos-manual-lenses/

v4honda

Im offloading a lightly used Nikon D70 if you are interested?
    ?300 sterling ovno

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.