Generic filters
Exact matches only

Quick chemicals question

Homepage Forums General Photography Film Photography Quick chemicals question

• This topic is empty.

Quick chemicals question

• Jonnyp16v
    Participant

Can film developer and stop bath be use on photo paper?

tex

Not really, unless you just want to experiment with it to see if you can get results. The stop bath will work and prevent further development.

davedunne
    Participant

Any stop bath chemicals I have used can be used with both paper or film (Kodak Indicator Stop and Ilford Ilfostop).

I don’t know what would happen if you put film into a stop bath previously used for paper but I image it would be better to have two separate bottles made up.

By the way, I noticed the Kodak stop lasts for ages when used with film but turns purple (is exhausted) after a single printing session.

Jonnyp16v
    Participant

cheers for the advice, I’ll give it a go a see if it works.

DPS
    Participant

you can just use plain water if your printing on resin papers, ive also heard you can use vinger and water if printing FB, also if using water you will need to change it regularly as it becomes mixed with dev, and you need to leave the print in it longer as it takes a little bit longer to stop the reaction.

thefizz
    Participant

It is generally recommended not to use an acid stop with film as it can cause pin holes. Just rinse a few times with water before fixing.

The answers are: Yes and it depends. There are basically three points I can make:

1) There are developers actually designed for that (e.g. “Universal PQ” being one), but many, if not most will give you results, albeit at different concentrations. Many, of not most film developers work reasonably well with paper. The reverse is also true: (e.g. HC-100 ad dilution A is also fine, Dektol paper developer can be used with film: e.g. try at dil 1:10 for about 10mins 20C for FP4+ or PLUS-X).
    2) costwise though using expensive film developers on paper is not that efficient, so, from an Economy point of view it isn’t that logical.
    3) e.g. fIlm grain and acutance may well end up being sub-optimal, but try it for effect.

Stop bath: Sure A-ok as well. a dash of white vinegar also works, or just a good, quick rinse in plain water.

Jonnyp16v
    Participant

Cheers for all the advice, I gave it a go and the results were pretty bad. I have bought paper develpoer since then. I did my first couple of prints last night, first time printing in my darkroom I just built, pretty happy with how they turned out.

first prints3 by Jonnyp16v, on Flickr

Eddie
    Participant

You’re hooked now, they look quite good for first attempt, well done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.