Generic filters
Exact matches only

PI Saltee Trip

Homepage Forums General Photography PI Events PI Saltee Trip

• This topic is empty.

PI Saltee Trip

• brendancullen
    Participant

The seabird breeding season is just about to really kick off.

If enough interest is shown – I’ll happily organise a day trip to the Great Saltee Island, just off Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford.
    After many visits i think i know the ‘spots’ to get the puffin shots – and will happily share my limited knowledge with anyone who cares to listen. Other birds in great numbers would include Razorbills, Guillemots and Gannets. It’s an incredible beautiful place to visit and walk – even if you didn’t get a picture.

http://www.salteeislands.info/

I’d need at least 8 people to hire the boat independently of his normal daily run – the advantage being we could get an extra two hours on the Island.

As the breeding season is approx 3 weeks behind – I’d be looking at a date mid June to June 30th when the eggs have hatched and the birds are feeding.

Hands up anyone interested – and would a Saturday or Sunday be more suitable?

The outing would be from approx 9:30-5pm.

Bren

ossie13
    Participant

Hi Bren depending on date would be interested, would also think Niall would be up for it as well!

Cheers Steve

steelydan
    Participant

Brendan

Depends on what date , i would be interested.

JMac-2006
    Participant

Hi
    Did this go ahead or am I too late. I was there two years ago with a group from PI and really enjoyed the day.
    Jason

brendancullen
    Participant

Hi Jason – Not enough replies to organise an exclusive boat trip – but I’m going on the 10am sailing this Saturday if you wish to tag along.

Declan Bates is the boat man – and his number to book a seat is 087 2529 736.

He generally runs 10,11 & 12 on weekends – and 10:30 weekdays. Normally a 4-5 hour stay is allowed.

I was there last Sunday – and have never seen as many Puffins as i have in the previous 20++ trips over the last 3 years.

The season is a bit behind – and I’d expect the Auks to be there until approx July 20th. Gannets & Kittiwakes will be there until mid-August i would guess.

bren

JMac-2006
    Participant

thanks Brendan

Thats a real pity this saturday is out for me but i might look to head down on Sunday or next week
    Enjoy i think the weather is looking good too for you

Jason

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.