Generic filters
Exact matches only

On the boat

Homepage Forums Photo Critique People On the boat

• This topic is empty.

On the boat

• Alfamale
    Participant

My daughter on the boat to England (about 2am … :( )

Just like dthe expression and the catchlights in her eyes

ciaran
    Participant

I’ll probably be slated for this, but I’m afraid this shot as far as photography goes, isn’t a great shot at all.

It’s a little soft, noisy, a tad under exposed and the skin tones are very orange/red. In fact there is an over all colour cast. I’m sure as a snapshot for you being her dad it’s a wonderful shot, but as a photo which stands on it’s own I wouldn’t rate it.

To borrow a recent definition I saw on another forum of a snapshot and of a photograph:

A snapshot invokes a memory of someone you know or met, a place you’ve been, an event you attended, or a pet that you’ve lost. The connection to the photograph is emotional and subjective. A snapshot, shown to a stranger, is ineffective, because the stranger doesn’t have that memory or emotional connection to the picture.

A photograph stands on it’s own. It doesn’t rely on memories or emotional connections to portray itself. It has to portray it’s meaning on whoever views it, and it may very well say something different to everyone who views it.

Because people are naturally emotional, and become attached to their photos, it’s sometimes hard to distinguish between a snapshot and a photograph.

I’m not saying that snapshots are bad, they’re just personal, and hold little or no value for anyone else.

I think this falls into the snap shot category for me

filmfred
    Participant

LOL, I think you’ll live Ciaran. :lol: This is what Mark says the site is for.

I agree with you. The photograph is a nice shot of the child who goes without saying is very cute
    with as Alfamale says a cute expression on her face.

However, the end result is indeed noisy and suffering from a distinct colour cast with some softness.

Did you use a digital camera or was it film and scanned it ?
    Just wondering if its a question of technique, scanning or just a dad at 2 in the morning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.