Generic filters
Exact matches only

New Leica M Monochrom

Homepage Forums General Photography Industry News New Leica M Monochrom

• This topic is empty.

New Leica M Monochrom

• Mark
    Keymaster

Announcement from Leica – they’ve produced a black & white only digital rangefinder !.
    Worlds first ?

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_monochrom/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Bricker
    Participant

A steal at a tad over 6k stg….. AND it comes with a free copy of LR4 and Silver Effex Pro 2 – the later confuses me though considering it only shoots B&W?

Green Meanie
    Participant

Bricker wrote:

A steal at a tad over 6k stg….. AND it comes with a free copy of LR4 and Silver Effex Pro 2 – the later confuses me though considering it only shoots B&W?

Silver Effex is for Black and White processing …… :roll:

Bricker
    Participant

I know what it is, but seeing for 6k it only shoots b&w….. forgot my tongue in cheek smilie,

Green Meanie
    Participant

Bricker wrote:

I know what it is, but seeing for 6k it only shoots b&w….. forgot my tongue in cheek smilie,

Ah, the auld sarcasm doesn’t work great on the interweb :D

F*ck knows who this camera is aimed at, will they sell any??

James7
    Participant

No bloody M10 announced…

davedunne
    Participant

I am not proud. I will accept donations if anyone wants to sponsor me to try this camera out.

I too am surprised by the inclusion of Silver Efex Pro. Maybe the out-off-the-camera files are a bit blah. The sample Jacob Aue Sobol shots look nice but are these run through the Nik software I wonder?

I am a big fan of the Silver Efex Pro 2 by the way but I’m going to wait for version 3 to come out before I buy the Leica though so I can get the software for free.

Mark
    Keymaster

I think that it would be something if the likes of silver efex pro was embedded into the camera’s own software as an option.
    So take raw as the camera saw them or else choose a film type.

Not cheap but I think its an interesting move, might make others go with the b+w only sensor too in the future.
    Who knows. Anyhow, I think Tri-x is safe for now :)

Martin
    Participant

A bargain at 6k. Sure keep it a few years and it will be worth 2 million euro like the one at the below link :-)

http://leicarumors.com/2012/05/12/new-world-record-for-the-most-expensive-camera-2790000-usd-for-leica-0-serie.aspx/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

damien.murphy
    Participant

Some very flat files coming out of this camera, kinda makes me have doubts as to the out of camera files, as you would think one of the benefits of a monochrome camera would be top notch out of the camera jpegs. Sure you can fool around with the dng file, but if you were of that mind, maybe you might prefer to have the colour file from a regular M9 or other camera.

In any case, cannot afford any of Leica’s current digital rangefinders, so its all of academic curiousity to me :)

By the way, agree with you Mark, with cameras getting more powerful in terms of processing in body, you would wonder why something like Silver Efex could not be integrated within the camera. That would be an achievement in my opinion, and a real step forward, with regards to digital black and white, even if you could simply just select a film stock to emulate, and a level of grain, and structure/ clarity you were happy with.

It boggles me as to why the b&w output from cameras is so rubbish, and really wish camera manufacturers would get the thumb out.. :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.