Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

ND filter for film look on DSLR

Homepage Forums General Photography General Photography Discussions ND filter for film look on DSLR

• This topic is empty.

ND filter for film look on DSLR

• JustExposin
    Participant

Apologies if i have posted this before. I cannot find it with a search

By how much would an ND filter need to stop down to shoot something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znGcbvBusg” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false; in daylight
    Shooting video 25 FPS and 1/50 of a second on a Nikon D3200 with big aperture for shallow dof. For example a cokin ND8 blocks 3 stops . Would that be enough? I know there is more to film look than that but one has to start somewhere

dejoshea
    Participant

I don’t think three stops would be enough. I was taking photos earlier today and it was overcast, at an aperture of f/4 the shutter speed was 1/500 so even a 3 stop reduction isn’t enough to get to 1/50 at f/4 even.

Your best option I reckon is to look at a variable ND filter http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products/ndfilters/variabledensityfilter/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false; that one claims 1.5 to 9 stops, and there are other manufacturers out there. I haven’t used one myself but have seen a few people shooting video on DSLRs using them, nice and handy to change the number of stops too as light conditions change.

JustExposin
    Participant

Thanks will check it out

Mark
    Keymaster

I think that the variable stop filters are commonly used with video tbh. I’d love to get into it but it sounds like having to get even more gear :)

JustExposin
    Participant

Mark wrote:

I think that the variable stop filters are commonly used with video tbh. I’d love to get into it but it sounds like having to get even more gear :)

You could also use for stills of waterfalls etc?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.