Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Macro With A Compact

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Catch All Macro and Close-ups Macro With A Compact

• This topic is empty.

Macro With A Compact

• Elise
    Participant

Hi. I have just joined the forum. I have a huge interest in macro, which I have been working at for about a year now. I use a compact with an amplifying lens [50mm and a 42mm depending what I am shooting] and would be interested to hear from other active members on here. I would like to improve my technique and general level of knowledge in macro. Any advice appreciated :)

I especially enjoy water drop macros [useful when living in Ireland] and capturing refractions, but also enjoy insects, plants, cultivars, and wild flowers. I have added one of my Dandelions [hopefully uploaded correctly] which I never tire of photographing.

steelydan
    Participant

Decent attempt with a Compact camera. The sweet spot of your set up is the middle drop to bottom drop. It could be to the f5.1 aperture you used. But it has a hazy feeling to it, and remember not all macro has to be sharp all over. have you heard of the LBS or in other words Little Big Shot, its a little invention for compact camera that (to be honest) produces excellent results for around $35

Details here
    http://littlebigshot.blogspot.ie/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Elise
    Participant

Hi steelydan

Thank you kindly for your reply, greatly appreciated.

I use both the 50mm and 42mm LBS on my Canon compact and find them incredibly versatile, giving me great results all things considered. I have recently downloaded the CHDK programme, and am working through that at the moment to see if I can improve my results. Eventually it would be interesting to get into focus stacking, however, that’s a long way off yet !

Once again, thank you for your response.

miki g
    Participant

Hi Elise.
    That is a good result from a compact & the LBS works pretty well. That said, your setup will be quiet difficult to use on subjects which are not flat & still retain a good depth of field. I’d suggest backing off slightly from your nearest focusing point (slightly less magnification) as this will bring more of the subject into focus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.