Generic filters
Exact matches only

Louise – first model shoot

Homepage Forums Photo Critique People Louise – first model shoot

• This topic is empty.

Louise – first model shoot

• KWBarbs
    Participant

Never tried shooting any people other than family, so shooting a model was a first for me. For this I just managed to get a few headshots of Louise – really nice girl and didn’t make me feel like a fool fumbling with a camera!

Kieran.

jb7
    Participant

Really good model, very expressive-
    I’ve seen her around a bit recently, looks like a group shoot?

Wish I could see the pictures when commenting on them…

I think the second would be my pick from these-
    for the expression, though the composition could do with more space around the head, I think-
    they’re perhaps all a bit too tight-

A lot more space might have shown some more of her attitude-

Good lighting and colour, was it main light only?
    Good result for a first shoot-

j

KWBarbs
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I posted these as I really am looking for critique, comment and feedback.

jb7 wrote:

Really good model, very expressive-
    I’ve seen her around a bit recently, looks like a group shoot?

Yes – it was part of a group session at the camera club…. so I had about 5 mins to get a shot.
    She was great to work with. As this was a club shoot, she was very patient and helped the complete idiots like me to try and frame a shot.

jb7 wrote:

Wish I could see the pictures when commenting on them…

Not sure what you mean?

jb7 wrote:

I think the second would be my pick from these-
    for the expression, though the composition could do with more space around the head, I think-
    they’re perhaps all a bit too tight-

I might try re-cropping. I oringinally had a wider crop, but as it was on a black background it did not seem to add anything to the headshot so I went in tighter.
    I personally prefer the 3rd, but maybe a bit more on the left of the 2nd might add to it. The re-crop is a good idea, I might give it a go and re-post.

jb7 wrote:

Good lighting and colour, was it main light only?

I can’t take credit for the lighting, that was Ross :)
    There was a single light high on the right, 45 angled down on the model with a shoot through umbrella. It was positioned quite close.
    The black background was lit with a single light to try and give separation between the dark hair and the background.
    This may all be wrong – if it is, I am sure Ross will be along to correct me.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Kieran.

jb7
    Participant

Sorry, was grumbling over the way pictures disappear into a tiny slot at the bottom of the page when you post a reply-
    especially when there are 3 of them…

5faythe
    Participant

Hi Kieran,

I’m no expert on this type of image (or any other type :? ) but I think
    these are really nice.

I like close up portraits like this but have found my results a little harsh
    since I started using a digital camera.

There is a certain casualness about them which is attractive.
    The catchlights in the eyes and the engagement are good.

Well done.

jb7 wrote:

Sorry, was grumbling over the way pictures disappear into a tiny slot at the bottom of the page when you post a reply-
    especially when there are 3 of them…

Joseph I thought I was the only one got peed of with this.
    I often open up a second PI screen so I can look at the images properly while
    I am attempting to comment.

Cheers.

John.

Pixelle

Em, I think these show a lack of variety, maybe a change of position [or should that be pose] next time might help.

KWBarbs
    Participant

Pixelle wrote:

Em, I think these show a lack of variety, maybe a change of position [or should that be pose] next time might help.

I agree with this – but with only a few minutes to get some shots at this session, variety was not really an open this time. I only posted 3 similar shots as I was looking for feedback on the crop and subtle differences.

Thanks.

5faythe wrote:

Joseph I thought I was the only one got peed of with this.
    I often open up a second PI screen so I can look at the images properly while
    I am attempting to comment.

Me too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.