Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Kitchen Tap

• This topic is empty.

Kitchen Tap

• nolonger
    Participant

I just got my new Nikon D50 yesterday… messing about with the macro function, as well as a bit of RAW processing as well.

Mark
    Keymaster

How did you achieve the colour ? I like it, looks unusual.

nolonger
    Participant

It’s funny you mention it (you’re not the first). I’m not really sure how it came out so yellow-ish… The lighting was a white neon tube light, and the kitchen never really looks this yellow, so I’m wondering if it’s reflecting off the walls or something? It’s this colour in the raw image as well, so it’s not just poor RAW processing on my part :)

ciaran
    Participant

My guess is it’s a white balancing issue. You can adjust WB in RAW conversion without loss.. There’s definitely a yellow tint. Try setting the WB to automatic in the RAW conversion or alternatively use the WB eye dropper and click it on the small speculative highlight on the end of the tap. This should remove the yellow colour cast.

nolonger
    Participant

Funnily enough, I shot it with white balance setting of “Auto” on the camera, which resulted in this image (temp 3750, tint -19), but when I run it through CS2 (with Adobe’s RAW plugin) with the WB set to “Auto”, I get the following result (temp 2950, tint +24). I kinda like it a bit better with the yellowy tint.

ciaran
    Participant

I’m very suprised the D50 did such a bad job with the auto white balance. I find that auto works 80% of the time, but for shots that require true colour renditioning you have to use a grey card (thankfully i shoot B&W most of the time). Reflections shouldnt make a difference, but what might have screwed it up is the mix of lighting between the neon tube and the natural light – mixed lighting is always a problem for white balance. As for which shot I prefer, I’d have to go with the second personally.. but neither of them really do anything for me if I’m to be brutally honest. It is a good lesson in white balance though :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.