Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Getting paid by newspapers

Homepage Forums General Photography Photography Business Getting paid by newspapers

• This topic is empty.

Getting paid by newspapers

• JustExposin
    Participant

I am an amateur fairly new to photography. There was a news worthy item near where I live and I shot some photos and sent some to a national paper on spec. One was used. However, I made no mention of payment. Am I entitled to payment? How do i go about it and how much do I bill them for.?

I want to be in a situation where i can send photos freelance on spec like this and be paid if they are used. Should I put a note in the email to the effect “may be used if payment made”* or should I make a watermark on the image to that effect. I mean very small where they can crop it off © copyright JustExposin’ license available or similar?

A writer is writing an article soon and asked me to shoot a picture for it. Thee are also other news worthy issues i will attend and shoot and submit. So i want to know how to submit my images in a way to ensure payment if used.

*Is there a recognized expression

paul
    Participant

Normally when I submit, either in the EXIF of the image, or else in the email (or both), I will state that “standard payment terms apply”.

No harm invoicing the paper. Give them a shout and ask for their payment rates. All papers have set rates of what they pay for photos. Once you know the amount, then simply invoice them. Depending on the paper, you can be paid anything up to 6 months after invoice, and may have to chase a bit for it too.

JustExposin
    Participant

Thanks. How do you add exif in photoshop? the only way i see is save for web. Is save as web good enough quality for a newspaper hard copy?

paul
    Participant

In Photoshop, I think it’s in File, Fileinfo. In Description section you should put in all the info about the photo – date, location, event, etc. The who, what, when, where of what the image is about.

In there you should be putting the caption and details of the photo anyway.

Save for web generally wouldn’t be quality enough. You want something roughly 1-2mb in size, 300 ppi with decent dimensions.

JustExposin
    Participant

Ok thanks for the info..Will adding exif affect the photo quality as adding a water mark would?

Mark
    Keymaster

Personally I wouldn’t add a watermark. It would probably just annoy them as they’d have to edit your photo instead of it being
    pretty much ready to go. The exif data would be standard.

paul
    Participant

Why would you add a watermark? Exif is just data embedded in the photo data. It’s not visible on the photo itself.

Papers require the correct information in the file exif.

JustExposin
    Participant

i do not want to add a watermark. i am asking if adding exif would degrade a photo as a watermark can

paul
    Participant

Watermark – visible
    EXIF – not visible

You should always fill in the EXIF information – who, what, when, where, your contact details, etc.

JustExposin
    Participant

Ok thanks guys. I will put standard payment terms apply in exif

paul
    Participant

JustExposin’ wrote:

Put it in the email submission too.

JustExposin
    Participant

paul wrote:

JustExposin’ wrote:

Put it in the email submission too.

Willl do. Thanks

JustExposin
    Participant

paul wrote:

Watermark – visible
    EXIF – not visible

You should always fill in the EXIF information – who, what, when, where, your contact details, etc.

How long after publication should you invoice them? I know it may take a while to actually get paid but should the invoice be sent immediately it is published?

Thanks

paul
    Participant

As soon as you want. Not more than 6 months though.

I would tend to do my invoices in batches, at the end of each month.

But, you can invoice as soon as the image is printed.

JustExposin
    Participant

It is now August and i never got paid. Sent invoice twice and sent email to picture editor. It is not the money really I just feel if they used it they should pay.I would have to pay for a copy of the paper. Is it usual to not even reply at all?

Also how do you know if they have printed your photo. I would not know aboutvthis except someone told me. For all I know they could have used others I sent before this thread. Any sent after this thread have the “standard payment terms apply” etc

Thanks to anyone who can help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.