Exact matches only

GAA Photography

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Sports GAA Photography

• This topic is empty.

GAA Photography

• paulocon
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who does sports photography, specifically GAA?

Any recommendations on what gear to use? At the moment, I have a plain old Nikon D50 with kit lens. Any suggestions re a lens to get me started?

Always wondered how photographers get access to pitchside, I’m assuming you have to be an affiliated press photographer?

Thinking of getting hold of a decent lens and doing some practice over at the local club. Nice way to see some football and practice a hobby at the same time..

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, anyone on here have any pics of the County Grounds around Ireland. Thinking of doing a project over a period of time on the County Grounds, would be nice to try and capture some of the character of some of the new and (very) old grounds around the country.

Paul

paul
    Participant

I can’t specifically comment on Nikon gear. But, a GAA pitch is large. You will need a long enough lens, or else you will be limited to only shooting when the action gets to you. Most of the pros would be using a 400mm lens or larger at pitch side.

To get pitch access, you can try talking to your local club. The majority of photographers though would be associated with a media outlet (paper, agency, etc).

Plenty of generic sports photography tips on my website, if you have a look. http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/sports.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck with it. It’s an expensive way of doing photography, because of the gear required.

Dessie
    Participant

Paulocon i do a lot of Gaa i have a pass for the Ulster Council and do some local newspapers i use a 300.2.8 all the time im a great believer that the action will always come to you take a look at my website http://www.desmondloughery.com and see what you think + see pics above Derry v Louth

paulocon
    Participant

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

I’ll have a read through those tips Paul.

Dessie, I was actually up at that match. I’m assuming you took those from the Brandywell side? I saw a female photographer positioned there with a telescopic lens at one stage.

Great shots you captured, the 4th one has superb clarity.

My best bet is probably to invest in a lens and have a go at the local club games. Involved at the club so shouldn’t be an issue shooting the adult matches. If I do manage to get any half-decent shots, they can be used on the website..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.