f2.8 or f4 70-200L

• adrianmatthews
    Participant

Hi,

Looking to invest in an L Zoom lens

F2.8 L is is approx €2.4K
    F4 L IS is approx €1.3K
    F4 L non IS is approx €700

In the case of the F4’s…. seen lighter and blurb is reading that the Glass is pretty much the same as the 2.8.
    I am looking to shoot Sports / Portraits and some street.
    I am shooting with a 7D…… just for my own personal interest / hobby.

So the question is …. Should I go with the more cost effective option of €700 or push the boat out.

Ps. Longest lens I have is the Kit lens that came with the camera…..

Appreciate it if anyone out there with experience of these lenses could share their findings.

Thanks
    Adrian

miki g
    Participant

I have the f/2.8 IS version and have to say the glass is excellent. It’s heavy for handholding over a long period which could be relevant if shooting sports. f/4 wouldn’t normally be a problem as the ISO could be raised, but the 7D isn’t great for noise at higher ISO’s. If you can afford it, I’d say go for the f/2.8, but if not the f/4 versions are also great. Check out for 2nd hand too, there could be a bargain out there on Done deal etc.

Seaview
    Participant

Adrian, I was in the same situation a few months ago. Very difficult decision but in the end I opted for the Sigma f2.8 with image stabilization. I also shoot with the canon 7D and at the moment I think I’m relatively happy with my decision. The money I saved will go against a camera upgrade which I think overall will give better quality images. Current decision is weather to go full frame, 5D mk III or cropped 7D mk II.

Dave.

adrianmatthews
    Participant

Cheers Lads thanks for feedback.

A.

adrianmatthews
    Participant

Picked up the F4….. need a new bike also…….. looking forward to using it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.