Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only

Do photos have to be sent to papers early?

Homepage Forums General Photography Photography Business Do photos have to be sent to papers early?

• This topic is empty.

Do photos have to be sent to papers early?

• JustExposin
    Participant

Are newspaper made up early in the day? I have had a few photos published but also a few were not even though there was a story about the area and the issue. The ones not published were sent in late in the evening for a next day story. Could that explain it? Do they have to set it up early to print. I understood they don’t print till early in the morning

Thanks for the help…I get paid when published

paul
    Participant

Usually the first edition of the next day paper is set by 8pm. Your deadline really is 7:45pm. Anything after that is usually not considered for the first edition. Some papers don’t have different editions though, so if you don’t make the deadline, you don’t make the paper.

Mark
    Keymaster

Best would be to check with the paper(s) you are submitting to. I occasionally submit photos and articles for my local soccer club to a weekly newspaper. They for example need them in by Tuesday midday for publication on a Thursday. Another daily I’ve worked with need them sunday by 6pm to make the Tuesday sports special.

JustExposin
    Participant

Thanks for replies guys. Have noted about the 7,45 deadline.

BarkerPhotographic
    Participant

Usually it’s not a simple as A DEADLINE, if you think about it logically, any organisation has a limited amount of resources and they have to be allocated across the whole product.
    For example if a paper has 30 pages and 10 editorial staff working on it, that’s three full pages per head in an 8 hour day. Every page cannot be left until “the deadline”, so what typically happens is that various pages are prioritised and given rolling deadlines throughout the day, and only a couple of pages are held open ’till the Actual Deadline. The reality is that the last pages will be held for the Latest / biggest stories and all others have a much earlier deadline.
    Bottom line: Get the pictures in ASAP!

JustExposin
    Participant

Got another payment since last posting….Thanks for the help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.