Exact matches only

Choosing my next lens

Homepage Forums Gear & Links Photography Equipment Lenses Choosing my next lens

• This topic is empty.

Choosing my next lens

• dzm
    Participant

Hey folks,

I’m new to photography and full of questions. Here’s one. I’ve a Canon 550D and the standard 18-55mm EF-S that came with the body. I bought a Canon 50mm f1.8 about a year ago and I love that for portraits.

I’m ready to buy my next lens but am really unsure what to get.

I figured I’d get a zoom. My Dad has the 75-300mm and it’s nice but a lot of people are recommending the 55-250mm. Now I’m wondering if I spent a bit more money and got a decent 18-200mm, or something of that nature, that it would replace my standard 18-55mm and suffice for most of my zoom requirements.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

PaddyF
    Participant

I have a 500D with a 55-250 and 18-55. It is a pain walking round with the 55-250 as sometimes its too long for some shots and the 18-55 is too short for general use. I need at least the 250 length as I take alot of motorsport photographs. I plan to replace the 18-55 with something like an 18-200 when funds allow, that is what I would recommend you go with unless you have any particular reason for needing a longer lens.

slang61
    Participant

Dave.
    I use nikon cameras but when I got my first Dslr it came with an 18-55 kit kens. The next lens I bought was the 55-200. But very soon after that I bought the 18-200, as it was a pain having to have the two lenses. It is definitely worth while spending the extra few bob on the 18-200. I still use it as my main lens all the time (3 years later)
    Hope this helps.

STU.

Bricker
    Participant

The eternal question!

When you say you figured on a zoom, what is it that you are after? From what you have said, it seems its a bit of stretch.

My personal expierience is simllar to your situation, and my 2nd lens was a 70 – 300.

My 3rd lens was a better quality zoom – Canon 28 – 135 (2nd hand from Brownie and a peach) great for wandering around with (even on my 50D).
    My 4th lens was a wide angle zoom (Tokina 12 -24) – 2nd hand from Sheldon… satisfies my love of landscapes.
    My 5th lens and most recent purchase is a supereb 2nd hand Sigma 17 – 70 I picked up for a song in Conns.

My 2nd comes out once in a blue moon, but the other 3 are in regular use.

At the end of the day, it depends on what exactley you want and how much you can afford to spend getting there.

Best of luck, and dont be afraid of 2nd hand!

dzm
    Participant

Paddy, Stu, Des,

Thanks so much for the detailed answers. Really appreciate that.

I think my main problem is I’m not 100% sure what I want yet so I’ll hold off for a bit and try some out in the meantime.

Des, defo won’t avoid second-hand!

Cheers,

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.