beauty for me, I have spotted them before, sometimes
    two, sometimes three but this one was on his own today,
    the picture isnt very steady cos I was so excited :lol:

Noely F
    Participant

Yep….Buzzard :wink:

shutterbug
    Participant

Thanks Noely! I am even more excited now :)
    You are so good at getting great shots of birds in flight
    what settings would you have used for this? He was a
    fair distance up and was circling I didnt know what to do
    quickly so just put it on auto.

Noely F
    Participant

What lens had ya got?

shutterbug
    Participant

Noely F wrote:

What lens had ya got?

Sigma DG 70-300 1.4 5.6

John Griffin
    Participant

Yeah, just to back Noely up, it’s a buzzard, saw one between Newtownmountkennedy and Kilcoole this morning actually, we have been tagging the Wicklow buzzards for the last 2 years and they are wearing red tags for the 2005 birds and yellow for the 2006 birds, all tags have a large black letter on them and they are attached to the birds wing, if anybody sees one and can read the tag or better still photograph it, please let me know. They are seriously cool birds. We are reintroducing the Red Kite to Wicklow soon also, project starts this year, so soon it will be possible to photograph the Red kite in ireland again, yippee!!!

shutterbug
    Participant

John Griffin wrote:

Yeah, just to back Noely up, it’s a buzzard, saw one between Newtownmountkennedy and Kilcoole this morning

What a coinkydink :shock: Thats where I live :lol:
    About how many of them are there? It will be great to
    see Red Kite agree with you YIPPEE is right :lol:

Goosebanker
    Participant

You did well to get so close and get the bird exposed reasonably well. Since I picked up the camera I tend to look out more for wildlife and I have seen quite a few Buzzards in the Wicklow area but I,ve never managed to get more that a tiny silhoette in the sky, so well done.

shutterbug
    Participant

Thanks Goosebanker :) I was lucky it wasnt too high in the sky and almost over my
    back garden, they are in this area quite a bit but usually really high up and impossible
    to get without a six foot lens!! Appreciate your comments.

Noely F
    Participant

Red Kites…..excellent, last time I saw one was in Wales…flying along side the train!I’ve yet to see a Hen harrier but was lucky enough to see a short Eared owl at the pigeon house one Summer :wink:

joe_elway
    Participant

Red Kites …. cool. ANy chance there will be feeding stations like in ales that the public can attend?

John Griffin
    Participant

Its early stages yet, but i’m sure that the way it will go. We’re getting the birds from wales too. “This is gonna be grreat!!”(Amstel ad) :lol:

joe_elway
    Participant

This could be a really exciting year … White Tails in Killarney, Red Kites in Wicklow, a car park in Pollardstown Fen (!!!). Really nice job by NPWS!

I was only talking to a guy from Birdforum about visiting a kite station in Wales. Maybe that one can be scrapped :-)

Damn, John, I’m jealous of your job.

shutterbug
    Participant

I will be visiting that feeding station in Wales, near the Brecon Beacons,
    my Dad lives in Swansea and I am going to see him in Feb, he is an avid
    photographer and we were only talking about the Red Kites tonight, so
    we will pay it a visit, it looks great will let you know how I get on there.

Tracey

Shutterbug, where abouts did you photograph them? There are 2 that fly in the field beside my house on a regular basis. Only blips though are they’re so high. I wonder if yours is one of them?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/puddies/DSC_0013.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.