Generic filters
Exact matches only

Budget Sport Lens

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Sports Budget Sport Lens

• This topic is empty.

Budget Sport Lens

• Finlab
    Participant

I am new to photography. I am going to start taking picture for my local Gaa club for Website and Facebook updates. I bought a Nikon D3300 a few weeks ago. The camera came with the 18 – 55mm kit lens. This lens is not suitable for sports photography so I am looking for advice on what lens to get. My budget is around 300 euro. I have been doing research and the sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS seem a good Budget lens. Any comments on this or on any other good lens?

shutterbug
    Participant

Hi Finlab!
    Welcome to the site, in answer to your question, I do not have any experience of the lens you
    mentioned and is probably an adequate enough lens, my only “but” would be that it covers a
    very big span of focal lengths and for that reason it would maybe not be as good at all focal
    lengths (usually the extremes 18 or 250) as a lens that doesn’t have such a big range.
    The 70-300 lens has a good reputation and I would say most new photographers would opt
    for this particular lens when they discover the kit lens is not quite long enough.
    Sigma do a version of the 70-300 as well as Nikon and would be a lot cheaper, it is also
    widely available second hand.
    Hope this is of some help!

Finlab
    Participant

Hi Shutterbug,
    Thanks very much of your post. I have looked up some 70-300 lens and they are very reasonable
    priced and the reports are good about them. I will get a second hand one to start off with and
    maybe upgrade when I get a bit of experience. Thanks your help was very much appreciated.

shutterbug
    Participant

You are welcome, if buying secondhand, and there is no reason why you shouldnt,
    just make sure it is not a very early version and that it has a built in focusing motor
    so that it will work properly on your camera. Older versions with no built in motor will
    only work by manual focusing, not ideal when trying to capture fast moving games!
    You should be able to pick one up fairly handy, from about €100

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.