Generic filters
Exact matches only

Ballintoy Sunsets

Homepage Forums Photo Critique Landscape Ballintoy Sunsets

• This topic is empty.

Ballintoy Sunsets

• PeteTheBloke

andy mcinroy wrote:

Getting my horizon into shape so I don’t get battered with my own truncheon.

Ooo-errr. Beats getting a life eh? eh?

sean1098

Lovely Andy..The last two are a step up from the first imo. Makes me really jealous not being able to get out any more.

The third would look lovely on my wall. :lol: :wink:

Sean.

rc53

andy mcinroy wrote:

Thanks Noel, it is true that the well establish landscape photographers seem to get locked into their own style. Have you ever read Joe Cornish’s ‘Scotland’s Coast’? This book is interesting because Joe was working to a deadline and he was often forced to shoot in overcast light to get the book done. In fact, I think that has added balance to the book which probably would never have happened if he had a free reign on that project. It does have his own style about it, yet it is still refreshing. That is what I’d like to aim towards.

Robert, my problem is that I like to feel comfortable. Its not a physical comfort as I’m happy to sit out all day in a winter storm waiting for one minute of good light. But I like to be places that are familiar and to work on subjects that are natural rather than man-made.

Andy, don’t get me wrong, I know just how you feel.

Wasn’t it Joe Cornish who described his pictures as having boulders in the foreground, water/stream in the middle, and a castle or whatever in the distance?
    Perhaps he felt that his ‘style’ was getting a bit prescriptive, repetitive — not that the pix weren’t attractive, more that once you’d seen one, you’d seen them all.

Hence the ‘need’ to try to get out of the comfort zone; if mine is ‘chocolate box views of the Alps’, then perhaps I should try something more ‘abstract’.

piusno1

I like the last two Andy any grads used, I also think the discussion brought up, is very informative. I only started taking shots in digital in Jan. and I have alot to learn but I also need to get around and hunt out those great seascapes only got as far as some lakes yet.

again great shots Joe

rc53

andy mcinroy wrote:

Getting my horizon into shape so I don’t get battered with my own truncheon.

One of the photo mags a year or two ago came with a freebie hot shoe spirit level — for less than
    they cost in the shops — so I bought several…

send me your address and I’ll post one off to you :)

jb7
    Participant

andy mcinroy wrote:

Plenty of variety there for the connoisseurs of landscape.

I’ll have a Babycham…

andy mcinroy
    Participant

Sean, thanks for that. I’m sure it won’t be long before you’re dodging the waves again. We must get an Inishowen meet up with Pete and Cathal as soon as you are fit.

Robert, yes indeed, Joe Cornish has a sense of humour about his boulders. That one on front of his book ‘First Light’ is probably his best friend. Thanks for that offer of the spirit level. I have one of these myself although I think needs to be calibrated. :lol:

Joe, yes I used a 2 stop ND grad filter on all three of these shots. The stacks would have been in silhouette even without it. It has just helped me balance the exposure and saved me another 15 minutes processing.

JB, go easy with the hard stuff. Now pour me a Pimms and cucumber.

indeed beautiful set of images andy. the colours are very impressiv!

aj
    Participant

Hello Andy
    very nice sett u have here love those colours in the clouds regards aj

5faythe
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I like your images.
    The colours are nice.
    I think #1 is my favourite.

I must look into the ND filters.

The discussion is also an interesting one.
    I think about this not only from the point of view of my own images being
    repetative but my images being similar (or the same) as someone elses.

Cheers,

John.

petercox

Hi Andy –
    It was good to meet you, too. I had a very enjoyable time and look forward to a repeat meeting in the not-too-distant future. Overall the trip was very successful, I got quite a few images I’m happy with.

Here are a sampler of the ones from our evening in Ballintoy. The light was truly amazing, and you’d never have guessed it would be when we arrived.

Very similar composition to your #3, although slightly to the left and closer in.

.. and from the following morning at Murlough Bay:

Cheers,
    Peter

andy mcinroy
    Participant

Hi Peter,

You’ve come back with three very nice images there. That’s a beautiful view of Bengore Head in the first. I like the contrast between the cool left hand side and the warm right. That’s a great view of Fairhead too. A bonus to get the bluebells still in bloom.

It was very nice to meet up with you. If you are back in the north, do let me know and I’ll show you the secret ways to the base of the white rocks.

John, thank you too for your comments. Glad you found the discussion interesting.

Andy

petercox

Andy –
    Thanks for the comments. We both came away with fine images – I particularly like your #1 – the Sun peeking around the rock and illuminating the platform in the foreground works very well.

Cheers,
    Peter

brownie
    Participant

Great set of shots Peter…again.

Noel.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.